Access replacement...
Brad
2002-11-06 02:14:37 UTC
I am thinking of a move from a Windows network to Red Hat Linux at my work. I
am happy with OpenOffice for spreadsheets, word processing etc but the main
problem is replacing MSAccess.

MySQL provides a replacement for the database component but that still leaves:

A programming environment;
A database maintenance utility;
A database query tool;
A report builder

Some of our users have had MSAccess training and are quite proficient in
producing simple but usable applications involving:

The creation of a database and tables;
Forms to populate the database;
Queries and reports to display the data.

All this in a graphical interface without needing to know SQL or doing any
serious programming. They would need to be able to continue doing this in the
new Linux environment - is there a suitable "Forms" utility?

We also have some "serious" applications written in MSAccess by outside
professional programmers. This was partly done to allow the simpler changes
(eg reports and screen layouts) to be made by the advanced users in order to
reduce costs and delays. I would assume that a "Forms" utility would not
provide enough features to be used here. Does this mean that development has
to be done in the opensource equivalent of "VB" which may shut out the
advanced users from making changes?

Regards,
Brad

Brad

Michael T. Babcock
2002-11-07 14:03:45 UTC
Post by Brad
A programming environment;
Python comes to mind immediately; very easy to learn, especially
compared to VB, and its even Windows compatible (MFC even).
Post by Brad
A database maintenance utility;
To what end?
Post by Brad
A database query tool;
Visual query tools exist for MySQL already; someone keeps posting the
name of one from time to time ...
Post by Brad
A report builder
Any report program that works from ODBC will work.
--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.

John Ragan
2002-11-07 15:32:38 UTC
i've been hesitant to respond because i'm not
sure that this is a head on solution for you, but
take a look at http://corereader.com

it's certainly easier to use than access queries.
simple point and click to build complex output.

however, it's not designed for the fancy
formatted output to which your folks are
accustomed. it'll do text, browser, schema xml,
and html, but it's all (intentionally) plain
vanilla.
***@CoreReader.com
http://www.CoreReader.com/

Dennis Salguero
2002-11-05 23:35:41 UTC
This is an interesting question and I hope you get a lot of responses since
I'm sure that I will only cover a small percentage of what you will actually
need.

The primary thing to remember is that you are moving from what could be
considered a self-contained development environment with a solid GUI, to an
enterprise-level database that focuses on performance. So, you will lose
some of the convenient features that Access provides while gaining some of
the performance that Access certainly can _not_ provide. Let's see if we can
hit the main areas you mentioned:

A programming environment;
I will assume that you are referring to a combination of the forms utility
and VBA within Access. You will now have to rely on something like VB to
provide all of the GUIs to your DB-based applications, there's simply no way
around that. While you may have some advanced users that are comfortable
with creating some basic forms and what-not, this will mean almost
absolutely nothing in the MySQL environment.

A database maintenance utility;
A database query tool;
The number of products available runs the gamut and I'm sure that furtere
research will provide a utility you like. However, DB management in Access
and proper DBA management in MySQL are completely different. Access is
somewhat "forgiving" on sloppy design, but in order to gain the most from
MySQL, it will certainly pay to make sure your DBs are properly normarlized
from the very beginning and all of your data types are as they should be.
This area should be your largest investment, not only in the time to find a
good MySQL management utility, but also in finding and/or training and
proper DBA. Personally, I use Mascon for my MySQL DBs, but again, you should
research this on your own.

As for your advanced Access users, I am afraid that you would have to shut
them out of doing most of the functions that they handle now. When dealing
with enterprise-wide DBs, it might be best to limit the number of DBAs that
have complete premissions to the database.

A report builder
This will almost certainly depend on how complex your reports are. My
experience has been that most intermediate Access users can make the
transition to something like Crystal Reports in a fairly quick time-frame.
However, a bit more of a learning curve may be required for more complex
reports. Also, your queries might need some re-tooling since you would have
to run them through the MyODBC driver. Fortunately, VB and Crystal Reports
integration is quite easy (I belive the same holds for VB.NET) which would
allow you to maintain an "all-in-one" utility for both manipulatiing your
data and creating reports.

On the other hand, if your reports are not complex at all, then you can
simply rely on something like PHP or ASP and have web-based reports. This
may not always be the best option for all reports, but if you're only
running a few reports and need a cost-effective solution, this may not be so
bad.

Good Luck!

Dennis

FILTER: MySQL , SQL , query, etc

Daniel Kasak
2002-11-06 02:47:21 UTC
Post by Brad
[...]
We can both search together then :)
I bought Kylix 1 and was extremely disappointed with it. Don't bother
with that one...
I considered using VB under wine but that isn't really a 'pure' solution
that I can be proud of.
I'm now looking into using Python. I installed boa-constructer (a Python
IDE) last night. It looks interesting, but I don't think it's really
geared towards database type stuff. I am also considering buying Rekall
by TheKompany:
http://www.thekompany.com/products/rekall/
It combines Python and database aware stuff, but the currently only
support very old MySQL client libraries and I haven't been able to get a
demo version working on my box, so I'm not really sure. TheKompany have
some interesting stuff though...
Anyone got anything to add to this?
--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer

2002-11-06 05:14:42 UTC
ooopps! ähm sorry... yes, Rekall, not Kugar!

STIBS

2002-11-06 05:12:13 UTC
Post by Brad
A programming environment;
A report builder
Kugar is a good choice for building reports and as a programming environment
ala VB. I is programmable via Python. It's not Open Source but relatively
cheap: http://www.thekompany.com

A more BASICalike Environment would be gambas but Benoit (the developer) has
no database component up yet. http://gambas.sourceforge.net He's busy with
acting school atm.

To the rest: Guys, anyone up for writing something? .... I have no clue of C
Post by Brad
A database maintenance utility;
MyCC from mysql.com isn't a bad choice and it is cross platform
Post by Brad
A database query tool;
can't help you here, I ike SQL in ASCII mode

STIBS

Richard
2002-11-06 05:24:17 UTC
Kylix 3 looks fantastic. It's a huge improvement over Kylix 1 and 2.

It's a bit more of a traditional programming language than Access is,
which means there will be more work involved.
Post by Brad
A programming environment;
A database maintenance utility;
A database query tool;
A report builder
Richard Czerwonka, Partner,
FYI Systems, Perth, Western Australia,
Delphi development
Mobile 0412 104 042
Brent Baisley
2002-11-06 13:55:53 UTC
I'm afraid to say it (but I will), but what you are asking for sounds
like FileMaker Pro. It's available for Windows, Mac and Linux. If you
really want to empower your users to create reports, databases, forms
and the like, FileMaker is actually a lot easier than Access.
For an experienced developer, FileMaker can be a frustrating experience
though. FileMaker is designed with the end user in mind and puts ease of
use first and foremost. It is more scalable than Access as far as
supporting simultaneous users, mainly because it has a server component.
I would not use FileMaker as a front end to a "real" database, although
it can be done and is getting better in this area.
There is a free 30 day (?) download available that I'm pretty sure only
limits the number of records you can enter. Otherwise it's a full blown
version.
The most I've put into a FileMaker database is about 500,000 records. I
had no performance problems at that level for simple searches.
Post by Brad
A programming environment;
A database maintenance utility;
A database query tool;
A report builder
Some of our users have had MSAccess training and are quite proficient in
The creation of a database and tables;
Forms to populate the database;
Queries and reports to display the data.
All this in a graphical interface without needing to know SQL or doing any
serious programming. They would need to be able to continue doing this in the
new Linux environment - is there a suitable "Forms" utility?
--
Brent Baisley
Systems Architect
Landover Associates, Inc.
p: 212.759.6400/800.759.0577

Brian Johnson
2002-11-06 14:34:21 UTC
I've been looking at a similar scenario

Here is what I've arrived at so far:
There is little that rivals the ease of use of MS Access - but most alernatives
offer different features (like security, performance improvement, and other
database related functions) that make the loss of ease of use bearable.

The closest open source system to Access that I have seen is Openoffice - it isn't
yet very well documented but there is a powerful database frontend system lying
under the hood of that suite. You still need a separate database to store the
info, but there is a form design tool and a query design tool similar to MS Access
and something similar to reports can be made by using the mail merge function to
pull info from the database.

As for database backend, I've had trouble finding something that is as portable as
MS Access. The main open source databases (MySQL and PostgreSQL) have replication
functions to provide off-line access to the databases but they too have limitations
(eg you have to set up the database server software, and maintin it, on the remote
client as well as the central server). There are some db formats that save the
data in a file that can be transferred to other systems, but then you lose some of
the advantages as well (I haven't played with these systems)

Keep us posted on what you find
Michael Gargiullo
2002-11-06 15:16:54 UTC
Flavio,

If your running RedHat check
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=75128

off topic question flavio. Did you ever work in New York City?

-Mike
I try to update my linux to next version, and it was running a previous
version of mysql and when I update to version 3.23.52-3 it works correct,
but when I try to connect from a windows Workstation to server it broke with
Number of processes running now: 1
mysqld process hanging, pid 30326 - killed
021106 11:59:08 mysqld restarted
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
and in workstation shows: Lost connection to MySql server during query
Anybody knows what´s wrong ???
[]´s flavio
Richard Forgo
2002-11-06 15:53:30 UTC
I'm trying to find some documentation on creating intersecting entities
in MySQL, but haven't been able to track any info down on the MySQL site
or on the web. At least we called them intersecting entities while I
was in Oracle training (which was some time ago). I think I remember
how to set them up, but I'd love to have something to refer to quickly
before I start. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Rik Forgo
JIST3
Army Test, Training and Technology Integration Office (T3I)
Diverse Technologies Corp.
(c) 443.463.8571
(h) 410.859.8474

John Ragan
2002-11-06 23:54:38 UTC
if a succinct statement is possible, perhaps you
could give us an idea of its nature?

somebody may be familiar with the concept under a
different name.

Richard Forgo
2002-11-07 04:25:55 UTC
Sorry for being vague. I think the closest thing I can find to it is,
possibly, a three-way join. I'm trying to figure out how to write the
query.

I've got the following tables:

systems
------------------------
sys_name ID
------------------------
Abrams 202
Patriot 544
Stinger 229

... and ...

new_req
------------------------
proj_name ID
------------------------
Test Bed Alpha 344
Tracked Wheels 989
Battle Monitor 823
Shoulder Harness 654
Ammo Flask 454
Spotter 773

There may be multiple new requirements for a single system. To
accommodate them, I created a new table -- an intersecting entity is
what I recall it being called -- to bridge the two. I can't keep the
multiple references to new_req in the systems table, nor can I keep them
in the new_req table. As best I can figure, I need to have a bridge
table ... e.g.,

ie_sys_req
------------------------
sys_id proj_name_id
------------------------
202 344
202 989
202 823
544 654
544 454
544 773

If this seems peculiar, have patience with me I'm new at this. If it's
right, let me know so I can breath a sigh of relief. And if the
structure is right, could someone offer some guidance on how a query
that allows me to query new_req using the intersecting entity (or
three-way join, whatever it's called) would be written.

Thanks,

John Coder
Post by Richard Forgo
before I start. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
There is an example and full blown script in a book by Michael Koffler
called MYSQL. His Url is www,Kofler.cc If I remember it correctly he had
a "intersecting entity" involving Authors and Publishers in his
mylibrary example.

John Coder

Andy Eastham
2002-11-07 16:01:04 UTC
John,

You're making sense.

If you wanted to find all the systems used on project Test Bed Alpa, you'd
do something like this:

Select sys_name, s.id, project_name
FROM systems s, new_req n,ie_sys_req i
WHERE s.id = i.sys_id
AND n.id = i.proj_name_id
AND n.id = 344;

Hope this helps,

Andy
mysql query
Michael T. Babcock
2002-11-07 17:19:46 UTC
Post by Richard Forgo
right, let me know so I can breath a sigh of relief. And if the
structure is right, could someone offer some guidance on how a query
that allows me to query new_req using the intersecting entity (or
three-way join, whatever it's called) would be written.
That looks right to me, fwiw; now have your hand at some SELECTs off it
and see how it performs. Don't forget to UNIQUE index (or primary) the
pair of values in your intersection table if you don't have repeats of
pairs (which you probably don't) and that its ok to add additional
information to that table if that information relates to the particular
pair in question ...

Customers (id, name), PhoneNumbers (id, number), CustomerPhoneNumbers
(customerid, phonenumberid, type {fax/phone}, contact {ask for who?}) ...

John Ragan
2002-11-07 15:16:00 UTC
aha! sure. you weren't being vague. you just
needed to educate me.

some of us have used intersecting entities
through the years, but didn't know that there was
a fancy name for what we were doing. if my
memory weren't so bad, i'd use it to impress
people in the next interview.

in this case, simply do a three way multiple join
with the intersecting entity in the middle.
something like this:
select table1.col2, table 3.col2
from table1
left join table2 on table1.col1 = table2.col1
left join table3 on table2.col2 = table3.col1

or you could use an equal join with the
intersecting entity in the middle.

if you have a windows box that you can use as a
front end, i strongly recommend that you download
corereader because its point and click queries
can make a six way join look simple. then, it'll
show you the sql code. best of all is that it's
free. http://corereader.com

Richard Forgo
2002-11-07 21:52:01 UTC
John, Michael, Andy and James,

Thanks for the informative responses. I was hoping I was on the right
track. Thanks for the query help, too. It looks like this is going to
work just fine.

Cheers,

Dan Rossi
2002-11-07 22:20:15 UTC
how is there a way to retain the user privileges in the mysql table when
dumping from mysql 3.23 to 4.0 ? i dont want to have to reset these
individually , let me know thanks

David Herring
2002-11-08 01:59:20 UTC

What does "ERROR 1030: Got error 124 from table handler" mean when
trying to select a single value from a table created as a UNIOn of
another table ?

When selecting just the primary key from a UNION table, with MySQL
3.23.53 I get the following error - however if I select the primary key
and any other field I get the select to work fine ??

Any ideas - thx dave

mysql>

mysql> select userId from Collaborate;
ERROR 1030: Got error 124 from table handler

mysql> select userId,email from Collaborate
;+---------+-------------------------------------------+
| userId | email |
+---------+-------------------------------------------+
| 1000078 | ***@n1.co.uk |
| 1000018 | ***@n2.co.uk |
| 1000019 | ***@n1.co.uk |

Dicky Wahyu Purnomo
2002-11-08 02:11:18 UTC
Pada Fri, 08 Nov 2002 01:59:20 +0000
Post by David Herring
What does "ERROR 1030: Got error 124 from table handler" mean when
trying to select a single value from a table created as a UNIOn of
another table ?
***@slimmer:~# perror 127
Error code 127: Unknown error 127
127 = Record-file is crashed

Table corrupt ... do
mysql> repair table <tablename>;
or
shell# mysqlcheck -r -p <db> <table>
--
Dicky Wahyu Purnomo - System Administrator
PT FIRSTWAP: Jl Kapt. Tendean No. 34 - Jakarta Selatan (12790)

Jocelyn Fournier
2002-11-08 02:20:56 UTC

In fact, it's :

***@forum:~$ perror 124
Error code 124: Wrong medium type
124 = Wrong index given to function

but the solution to resolve the problem remains the same ;)

Regards,
Jocelyn
Dicky Wahyu Purnomo
2002-11-08 02:34:51 UTC
Pada Fri, 8 Nov 2002 02:20:56 -0000
Post by Jocelyn Fournier
Hi,
Error code 124: Wrong medium type
124 = Wrong index given to function
but the solution to resolve the problem remains the same ;)
ups ... sorry ... :))

my mistake :D thx jocelyn ... ;-)

sql,query

David Herring
2002-11-08 02:55:26 UTC
Thanks for your help - problem now resolved.

The issue was I was creating the userId field with auto_increment and
setting it as the primary key in the UNION table definition - but had
failed to make the same settings in the table which I was making a UNION
from. I.E check very carefully when using UNION that you exactly match
the table origional table definition......

thx dave
Hi,
David Herring
2002-11-08 02:29:49 UTC
Dicky,

Thank you for the quick response - but it appears tables created as
unions do not support these repair commands:-

# bin/mysqlcheck -r -p test Collaborate
Enter password:
test.Collaborate
error : The handler for the table doesn't support check/repair

# mysql -uroot test
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 43 to server version: 3.23.52-log

mysql> repair Collaborate;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near
'Vodafone_Collaborate' at line 1
mysql>

Any other ideas ? Would trying an older version of MySQL be useful ?

thx dave
Dicky Wahyu Purnomo
2002-11-08 02:33:21 UTC
Pada Fri, 08 Nov 2002 02:29:49 +0000
Post by David Herring
Dicky,
Thank you for the quick response - but it appears tables created as
unions do not support these repair commands:-
# bin/mysqlcheck -r -p test Collaborate
test.Collaborate
error : The handler for the table doesn't support check/repair
# mysql -uroot test
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 43 to server version: 3.23.52-log
mysql> repair Collaborate;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near
'Vodafone_Collaborate' at line 1
mysql>
on syntax, your forgot to add ... table ...
should be like this :
mysql> repair table Collaborate;

but it's only working if you're using MyISAM table type.

Jocelyn Fournier
2002-11-08 02:34:33 UTC
What is the handler for Collaborate ?? (What does "show create table
Collaborate" display ?)
Dan Rossi
2002-11-08 16:24:59 UTC
i used this mysql_fix_privilege_tables hoping it would migrate about 100
user database privileges, but it doesnt seem to have done the job what else
do i need to do ? as i said before i dont particularly want to have to reset
and regrant everyones passwords.

Dan Rossi
2002-11-08 16:33:48 UTC
never mind it worked now , had to restart the server heh

Flavio
2002-11-06 15:09:44 UTC
I try to update my linux to next version, and it was running a previous
version of mysql and when I update to version 3.23.52-3 it works correct,
but when I try to connect from a windows Workstation to server it broke with
this message in mysql.log :

Richard
2002-11-07 03:04:48 UTC
Only the Filemaker server is available for Linux. The client is
Windows and Mac only.

You will need to use ODBC to get Filemaker to talk to MySQL. Even
then it's pretty limited.
James Northcott
2002-11-07 13:36:46 UTC
Post by Brian Johnson
systems
------------------------
sys_name ID
------------------------
Abrams 202
Patriot 544
Stinger 229
... and ...
new_req
------------------------
proj_name ID
------------------------
Test Bed Alpha 344
Tracked Wheels 989
Battle Monitor 823
Shoulder Harness 654
Ammo Flask 454
Spotter 773
There may be multiple new requirements for a single system. To
accommodate them, I created a new table -- an intersecting entity is
what I recall it being called -- to bridge the two. I can't keep the
multiple references to new_req in the systems table, nor can
I keep them
in the new_req table. As best I can figure, I need to have a bridge
table ... e.g.,
You mean a Many-to-Many or N-to-M join. IE, a system can be used in more
than one project, and a project can have more than one system.
Post by Brian Johnson
ie_sys_req
------------------------
sys_id proj_name_id
------------------------
202 344
202 989
202 823
544 654
544 454
544 773
If this seems peculiar, have patience with me I'm new at
this. If it's
right, let me know so I can breath a sigh of relief. And if the
That is in fact how to implement an M-to-N relation in a relational database.
Sigh away. :)
Post by Brian Johnson
structure is right, could someone offer some guidance on how a query
that allows me to query new_req using the intersecting entity (or
three-way join, whatever it's called) would be written.
OK, so if you want to see all the systems involved in each project, do something
like:

select proj_name, sys_name from systems, new_req, ie_sys_req where
new_req.ID=ie_sys_req.proj_name_id and ie_sys_req.sys_id=systems.ID

If you'r going for speed, you're going to want an index on each column that
contains an ID, so two indices in ie_sys_req.

Brian Johnson
Kevin Gale
2002-11-07 16:17:51 UTC
Brad.

Not sure if you got my last mail but did you try Omnis Studio from
www.omnis.net (trial download available).

It is available for MacOS Classic, OSX, Windows, Solaris and Linux. Never
used the Solaris/Linux versions but I do use the Mac and Windows versions
every day.

HTH
Kev.
http://www.star.net.uk